Top 9 Most Favorite of 2009
For last year’s words belong to last year’s language, And next year’s words await another voice. And to make an end is to make a beginning. ~T.S. Eliot, “Little Gidding”
Already on day two of 2010… Since I planned to post this yesterday, I’ve already begun the year a little behind…. whoops. Anyway, the only way I could see fit to properly begin a new year is with a wrap-up from the last 365 days… an out with the old and in with the new tribute of sorts… so… here it is, 9 of my top 9 Most Favorite-est Things from 2009!
Number 1. Favorite Places Visited
1. Akumal, MX
2. Muyil Ruins – Quintana Roo, MX
3. Coba Ruins – Quintana Roo, MX
4. Tulum Ruins Beach
5. San Francisco Supermercado – Tulum, MX
6. The Joshua Forest Scenic Byway -Mojave Desert – NV and AZ
7. Grand Canyon – West Rim – AZ
8. Main Street Station Casino – Downtown LV
9. The Bund – Shanghai, Asia
Number 2. Favorite Restaurants/Food/drinks
1. The Creamery Restaurant and Inn, Downsville, WI – anything and everything on the menu, for reals.
2. Azia, Minneapolis, MN – Witches Brew Mojito. Bubbly blackberry goodness!
3. Akita, Woodbury, MN – All-you-can-eat Sushi for $25. Yup, you heard me, Nope, that’s not a typo…
4. Porter and Frye, Minneapolis, MN – The Starlight cocktail. Absinthe and Ginger are truly a mix from heaven
5. Mon Ami Gabi, Las Vegas, NV – Steak Frites. To die for. And even better when eaten on the balcony overlooking the Bellagio Fountains. Go… Do…!
6. La Lunita – Akumal, MX – Dinner by flashlight on the ocean, can’t get much better
7. Lucy’s Kitchen – Akumal, MX – The best shrimp tacos anywhere and homemade coconut ice cream to boot
8. RJ’s Meats, Hudson, WI – Black and Blue Brats. Ohmigod, I’m not kidding, drive to Hudson right now and buy their entire stock. They’re THAT good.
9. Savories, Stillwater, MN – Breakfast Quiche of the week. Even if you don’t like quiche, you’ll like their quiche. yum!
Number 3. Favorite Bloopers
Number 4. Good Reads – books, blogs, websites
1. The Sookie Stackhouse Series – Book. True Blood inspiration. 9 books and counting about your typical vampire/human mystery/adventure/romance.
2. The Lettered Cottage – Blog. A day in the life of a couple renovating their vintage home in ‘rustic shabby beach chic’ with no prior experience. LOVE.
3. Jasmine Star – Blog. A fabulous OC wedding photographer whose not afraid to put it all out there. An inspiration to ANYONE with a dream.
4. The Pioneer Woman – Blog. There’s nothing this woman can’t do! She’s fabulous, she cooks, she decorates, and she documents with amazing photos.
5. The Twilight Series – Book. 4 books about your typical teenager/vampire love connection paired with lots and lots of angst….
6. Young House Love – Blog. A day in the life of a couple renovating their mid-century home in ‘affordable chic’. The transformation is amazing!
7. Grooveshark – Website. Free music listening radio/search site. It’s like Pandora, but different, though just as awesome.
8. Life In the Fun Lane – Blog. She’s like the Canadian Rachel Ashwell, and named her daughter Wren. Nuff said.
9. Postcards From Yo Momma – Website. “A repository of modern day maternal correspondence” and a guaranteed good laugh!
Number 5. Random Thoughts
1. I don’t like Las Vegas, but I’ll go back anytime for the steak at Mona Mi Gabi in Paris and a microbrew during happy hour at Main Street Station.
2. The 1st year of my very own business was successful! THANK YOU!
3. Seeing the Grand Canyon for the first time was more beautiful than I ever imagined. I highly recommend as 1 of 100 things to do before you die.
4. I may – just may – have entirely too much stuff
5. I live 7 blocks from the river – I need a boat.
6. I’m going to need a bigger house for said boat and stuff.
7. I love that my brother moved within 7 minutes from me this year. I like him and I’m glad he’s around. :)
8. My cat, Leya, hates having her picture taken – she just won’t hold still. Wicket, on the other hand, is a camera hog.
9. When I win the lottery, I’m going to buy a house on the ocean in Mexico, and you’re all invited to visit.
Number 6. Most Favorite Random Shots
Number 7. Most Favorite Stuff
1. HOME Egyptian Solutions Mattress Pad – Target. Shameless plug, but ask anyone that has it. Best… Mattress… Pad… EVER. You’re welcome.
2. My grandmother’s art easel. my grammy, my inspiration and hero, attended art school way back in the 1930′s. She took a bus to the Mpls Institute of Arts every day when most women were home taking care of their husband and children. To have a symbol of her determination, independence and creativity means the world to me and I will cherish it till the day I die.
3. Sirius Satellite Radio- because I can listen to fabulously obscure indie rock and my hubby can get football, anywhere… anytime…
4. Minnesota Public Radio Sustaining Member Status – because I don’t mind paying for good music, and they deserve it. Because they’re awesome. :)
5. SYNC – I can talk and drive hands free, I can tell my car to play ‘Tiffany’ when I want to hear it and a lovely voice gives me directions when I don’t know where to go…. how did I live for so long without this completely unnecessary and ridiculous luxury??
6. Merona Shawl Collar Sweatshirt – Target. The unofficial casual Friday shirt of choice for women everywhere. It’s a dressy sweatshirt – you can’t get any more stylish/comfortable/awesome than that!!
7. Set of 2 vintage velvet occasional chairs – Craigslist – can’t WAIT to crank these babies out for a future photo shoot!
8. My husband’s grandparent’s antique credenza – it sat in the same spot in their house for 50+ years, it’s perfectly weathered and is just the coolest piece of furniture we own.
9. 28 f/1.8 lens – *drool* and highly recommended to anyone with a crop sensor camera body. Or a full sensor, for that matter.
Number 8. Songs I Couldn’t Stop Listening To
1. You Got the Love - The XX/Florence and the Machine
2. Supermassive Black Hole – Muse
3. Zero – Yeah Yeah Yeahs
4. Velvet – The Big Pink
5. Daniel – Bat for Lashes
6. Sleepyhead – Passion Pit
7. Kids – MGMT
8. Sugarfoot – Black Joe Lewis and The Honeybears
9. Heavy Cross – Gossip
and about 85 more…. if I dwell much longer, this list will change 12 more times…. as it already has. :)
Number 9. 9 of 100 of My Favorite Photos